Question regarding combinations

Hello

I wondered what the latest on the combination of Nevirapine

and combivir is? I was reading an article on a recent study which was saying about the possibility of liver damage. I've been on the combination for about 18 months now and 4 months ago returned to my work after taking a year out.

I do get fatigue more than I used to and the occasional fever spell/nausea. I guess I'm quite lucky in that respect that some people get really back side effects.

Hope that you can respond to my question, The drugs have certainly taken effect in the sense that I can return to work etc. But, I cannot help but wonder about the long term effects of this combination even though at the moment It is giving me the opportunities that people in the past never had.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Jonathan

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Jonathan,

The combination is relatively non-toxic. There is a small incidence of hepatitis caused by nevirapine, but it is low and it usually occurs in the first few weeks to months of therapy. I assume your MD is following your liver enzymes. If however you have not been tested for Hepatitis C you should be. In addition you should be vaccinated for Hepatitis A and B if you are not immune. Douglas T. Dieterich, M.D.

diagnosed w/hep C