Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Pegylated Inteferon
May 11, 2001

I read over all your answers on Pegylated Inteferon, but I am left with no more information than I had before. I know it's a new drug, but I don't know what it is or how it works. Also what are the side affects,and this would be after regular Inteferon treatment failed. How will I fair? la on LI

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

The pegylated interferons are the same interferon alfa ,that are modified by adding a peg(polyethilene glycol). According to the bond between the two,and the size, are either branched or lineal.They work by providing greater and more constant concentration of the drug for a longer period.(weekly dosing).This is achieved because the interferon can acces more receptors in the hepatic cells,before destruction by the proteolytic enzimes and less distribution of the drug in the body conpartments and increased localization in the liver.(Pegasys) The branched Peg(pegasys)has less side effects than Rebetron.The available data suggests that this peg will be more effective in difficult cases as genotype 1,cirrhosis and non responders. Let me know what else you need to clarify.Next week I would be able to give you %and numbers after they are presented at DDW>

Previous
Hepatitus B
Next
Please respond

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.