Pegylated Inteferon

I read over all your answers on Pegylated Inteferon, but I am left with no more information than I had before. I know it's a new drug, but I don't know what it is or how it works. Also what are the side affects,and this would be after regular Inteferon treatment failed. How will I fair? la on LI

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

The pegylated interferons are the same interferon alfa ,that are modified by adding a peg(polyethilene glycol). According to the bond between the two,and the size, are either branched or lineal.They work by providing greater and more constant concentration of the drug for a longer period.(weekly dosing).This is achieved because the interferon can acces more receptors in the hepatic cells,before destruction by the proteolytic enzimes and less distribution of the drug in the body conpartments and increased localization in the liver.(Pegasys) The branched Peg(pegasys)has less side effects than Rebetron.The available data suggests that this peg will be more effective in difficult cases as genotype 1,cirrhosis and non responders. Let me know what else you need to clarify.Next week I would be able to give you %and numbers after they are presented at DDW>

Hepatitus B
Please respond