Another facial wasting and extended belly question

I am a very athletic hcv+ and hiv+ man. About 15 months ago I began to experience dreadful fatique, nausea, and loss of appetite so I had to stop exercise. My Infectious disease Dr. discovered elevated liver enzymes and prescribed a med holiday because my liver enzymes had elevated due to my hcv infection. Then my Gastrointerologist put me on Intron-A and Ribivirin therapy. During that time my hiv viral load elevated and my hiv Dr. prescribed Sustiva and Koelin. Now I'm noticing my face wasting and my stomach beginning to extend. A health professional told me the fat is not in the place it would normally be because of the hiv drugs. He says the fat causing the extended belly is coating the vital organs in the belly. Is this true? Now that I'm experiencing a return of vitality, can I lose this fat by increasing my aerobic exercise? Thank You

Response from Dr. Dieterich

What you are describing is typical for lipatrophy/lipodystrophy. The fat increases in the abdomen and decreases in the limbs. I don't know what Koelin is, though. You can ask for a testosterone level. Exercise is going to help somewhat, but may not be a total cure. Try it, just don't overdo. Ask your MD for a lactate level as well. Good luck! DTD

HCV followed by HIV
Peg interterferon