Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PCR test result after a month
Aug 18, 2014

Hi there, I am HIV positive. I recently had unprotected sex with someone (I was bottom). Now I am worried about Hep C as I have experienced some symptoms.

It started with shivers, nights sweats for few nights after a week of the incident. Then I had muscle aches, headache, dry cough, fatigue for about 2 weeks. I can eat but I have no real appetite for food( I don't feel hungry and I normally love food). I lost 2.5kg. Recently I also started having back pain between my shoulder blades. It is not constant but it comes and goes. I sometimes have tingling feeling in my hand. I was finding it difficult to focus on my work, and felt easily irritated when I felt fluish.

I had an antibody test done after two weeks of the risk which was negative as expected. Then I had two PCR tests done on 26th and 33rd day of the possible risk. They both came back as negative.

My doctor says it means I don't have it. However, considering all the symptoms I experienced and my appetite still not getting back to normal, I am still worried. I understand PCR test can detect the virus as early as 1-2 weeks. My latest test was done after 5 weeks. Would you say this would be the final result and I can be 100% assured I don't have Hep C, or there is possibility that the virus is not showing in the tests but may be detectable at a later date?

Thank you very much for your time and answer,

V worried patient

Response from Dr. Taylor

With acute (new, within the first 6 months) hep C infection, HCV RNA by PCR levels typically fluctuate widely, and can even transiently be non-detectable. This is why it is important if there is a question of acute hep C, to recheck the HCV viral load by PCR over time. I would suggest being checked for the virus one more time and for the hep C antibody again. Your symptoms are more concerning for an alternate issue though and I would ask your doctor about getting tested for syphilis and other sexually transmitted infections.

Previous
HEP - B
Next
heptit c negitave but can't give my blood

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.