hight SGPT

Sir, I hve hepB & I am taking tenovofir frm last 1 year. amd as per my latest report my Hbv DNA is <20iu/ml bt my sgpt is regularly increasing it is 123 u/ml, however I am regularly taking udocoliv and heptral with tenovofir. Plz suggeste me abt my high level of SGPT?

Response from Dr. Taylor

It is good to hear that you are taking tenofovir and that your HBV DNA is < 20 IU/ML. The goal of antiviral medications against hep C is to get your hep C virus level to a non-detectable level. This reduces the chance of liver disease progression, and reduces the chance of developing extensive scarring of the liver (cirrhosis) and liver cancer.

There are many reasons that your SGPT remains elevated. Common reasons include hep B itself; fatty liver disease; alcohol; genetic forms of liver disease such as hemochromatosis; other infections such as hep C and schistosomiasis; plus other medications and herbal medications. I cannot endorse udocoliv and heptra. I would consider stopping these and seeing if your SGPT comes down 3 months later. If not, talk with your doctor about these other potential contributors.

Hep B
No health Insurance any info would help