Viread Treatment

Hi, I have been taking viread from Apr 2014 till present. A recent test in jul 2014 show that my viral load did not lower. I took the pill in the afternoon everyday. Doctors said that viread is very effective but how come it don't seem to work for me. Doctor said might have to change to another medicine when I see him in Oct again. Any advise. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Taylor

It sounds as though you are taking viread (tenofovir) for hepatitis B. This medication is also effective against HIV.

It can take time for your hepatitis B viral load to decline and become non-detectable. It can take longer for people dually infected with HIV and hepatitis B.

Talk with your doctor about monitoring your hepatitis B viral load over time. It is wonderful that you are taking your medication daily and are not missing pills. The main reason why hep B viral loads do not become non-detectable is that people miss pills. No resistance to this medication (regarding hep B) has been reported to date. YOu may just need some more time. Also talk with your doctor about making sure you were checked for HIV before starting this medication, and if not, get tested now.

Hepatitis b?
house guest just told me they r Hep C positive