What's the Story on HCV Geno 2b Treatment for HIV Coinfecteds?

My HIV physician isn't much help ....and I live pretty remote (Yukon) I have HCV genotype 2b, HIV well controlled, undetectable ....I did the Ribavirin & Interferon standard Tx in '09 ...went HCV undetectable during and after Tx, but didn't have a SVR.

Is this solvadi (sp?) Tx the way to go? My liver panels are only slightly elevated. Thank you!

Response from Dr. Taylor

There is a great treatment now for gt 2b hep C.Interferon-free treatments are the same with and without HIV infection, but for drug-drug interactions between some hep C meds and some HIV meds.

Sofosbuvir (sovaldi) plus ribavirin for 12 weeks is an excellent treatment that leads to very high chance of cure. Talk with your doctor about how to access this.

Also talk with your doctor about their estimates of how much scarring is or is not in your liver. The liver panel does not answer this question.

hep c treatment
Feeling worried