The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hep B
Jul 5, 2014

I AM 35,HBSAG 0.478,HBEAG 0.48,BILIRUBIN 1.2, Sr conjugated 0.3,other things in\LFT much in limit, am I o k? what should I do?

Response from Dr. Taylor

There are several different blood tests that tell us about hepatitis B virus infection. Your hepatitis B surface antigen (often abbreviated HBsAg) is reactive. This typically tells us that there is a chronic hepatitis B virus infection. If the sAg is reactive, it is helpful to be evaluated by a doctor over time; hepatitis B can change over time in someone's body.

A helpful next blood test is the hepatitis B DNA. The DNA test result can determine whether the hepatitis B virus is currently replicating in your liver cells (making new viruses every day). This result, the ALT result(another blood test that tells us about what hepatitis B is doing or not doing in your liver) and your HIV status will help determine if you will benefit from treatment now, so discuss this with your doctor.

With hepatitis B, it is important to cut down or better yet, stop using alcohol, as alcohol can harm the liver infected with hepatitis B. If you smoke, it is important to cut down or better yet, stop smoking. Talk with your doctor if you need assistance with this. Talk with your doctor about how to reduce risk of spreading hepatitis B to your sexual partners and household contacts, and about getting them tested and vaccinated if they are not already infected and not protected.

HCV and Meningococcal vaccination
Accidentally vaccinated

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint