Lesions after US part 2

Hello again Dr. Taylor, I just wanted to get back and let you and your reader know that my Dr. wasn't very concerned because the lesions appear to be regeneration because they are so very small. The best news is that she said that she could get me treatment using Solaldi & Olysio together without the use of Interferon or Ribavirin. While this combo is still considered off label the cure rate in trials is around 94% for only twelve weeks of meds even with people with liver damage. The bad part is the cost! Twelve weeks of Olysio is $70,000 and twelve weeks of Sovaldi is $90,000...yes this is correct, $160,000 total. Somehow she got my insurance (BSBC)to pay for this. My platelets are lower than 90,000 which eliminated the use of I&R. I do go to a large teaching hospital and I think this helped with the off label prescribing. I take Isentress & Truvada which is one of the perfect combo to be on for this treatment. There is a drug interaction between Atripla and these new HepC meds. Also, there is a patient assistance card for people with insurance so my copay for both meds is $30 and it is shipped overnight from the hospital pharmacy. I have been taking the meds for 7 days and no sides at all!!!!

Response from Dr. Taylor

Simeprevir plus Sofosbuvir, 1 pill of each, for 12 weeks, is a wonderful, safe, effective regimen for people with genotype 1 hep C. I am very glad to hear that you can get this wonderful regimen. BCBS SHOULD pay for these medications, they are beneficial, and safer than alternative, and cost-saving when we consider the cost per cure and costs of NOT treating. Just be sure to get a schedule and take both pills every single day! Adherence really matters. Try for taking every single pill prescribed on the right schedule for the 3 months. I am very happy for you. Yes your HIV meds are perfectly suited for this hep C regimen. Hurray!

If you have lightly pigmented skin, and live in a sunny place, know that Simeprevir can cause photo-sensitivity, so talk with your doctor about how to protect your skin with clothes and sunblock while you are on this med. Also talk with your doctor about any other meds you take that she/he may not know about -- for example I am finding some men are buying viagra and similar medications -- these should NOT be used with simeprevir.

what is the risk of AIDS/Hep B & Chemo
tenofovir doubts