Lesions found during U.S.

Hello Dr. Taylor Co-infected and I have USs every six months. I had the last one Monday because I am getting ready to start treatment for my C with the new meds. The scan I just had showed "a numbers of very small lesions of unclear significance scattered throughout the liver". Does liver cancer scatter throughout the liver or is it usually contained to one or two tumors? My Dr did say in his note that "they may be nothing but can't really tell because the US isn't that clear of an image". I am going to have a MRI in a couple weeks to get a better view of my liver.

Response from Dr. Taylor

The MRI sounds like a good idea. Liver cancer and other cancers in the liver (cancers that start somewhere else and spread to the liver) can be scattered throughout the liver or can be contained to 1 or 2 tumors. So it is hard to say what is going on. Ask your doctor if you are getting the MRI with gadolinium, a dye that can help us sort this out, and whether you can get a specific liver protocol which can give the best results.

I understand that it can be stressful to wait for results. See if your doctor can get the MRI done sooner so you can get your answers. There are a number of things other than cancer that can give this impression on an ultrasound. All best to you.

hep c transmission
Cirrhosis with portal hypertension and HIV