HCV & Diarrhea?

I am 71 years old and have had HCV probably since the late 1960s. Recently I had an endoscopy because of a bleeding ulcer, and varices were discovered in my esophagus. My hepatologist tells me that I have cirrhosis and wants me to take the new drug that has just recently come out. I have now developed moderate to severe chronic diarrhea. Could this be caused by the HCV and will it interfere with my upcoming HCV treatment?

Response from Dr. Taylor

The diarrhea should not in any way be from your hep C.

The only way diarrhea is associated is if we take a medicine called lacutlose to treat hepatic encephalopathy, a complication that can arise when we have cirrhosis.

I hope the medication your doctor is talking with you about does not include interferon. If the medication regimen includes interferon, please discuss again with your doctor as there may be risks when taking interferon when we have varices. There are pills alone that are safer in this situation, but the specific circumstances depend on the individual thus your doctor knows your situation best.

I would discuss with your doctor other causes for diarrhea if it does not go away.

All best and here's to cure of your hep C.

Hepatitis b cleared
hep c transmission