The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hep C and unprotected sex
Jun 7, 2014

I have been Hiv for a year- 66 years. For the last 3 months I have been celibate. I had a blood test with my HIV doctor one month after I stopped having sex and my labs were great, no HEP C. In July, I go back again for my routine testing. What are the possibilities that i could now be possible for Hep C- in other words, Is ther and incubation time for the virus to appear. I was a bit careless the first year out of panic and have recently come to my senses and for me celibacy is the answer. I had sex with 3 different partners one or two times without condoms during the last year. No fisting, drugs except pot, or group stuff. Should I be concerned?

Response from Dr. Taylor

If you are an HIV-infected man who has sex with men, yes please get re-tested for hep C. It can take several weeks for the initial screening test, the hep C antibody, to become reactive. Many people develop the antibody by 12 weeks after exposure but people living with HIV infection may have a prolonged time to antibody development -- in one study, slightly over a year for a small percentage of people. Talk with your doctor about getting tested for the virus itself, HCV RNA by PCR, and about how to reduce your risks for catching hep C via unprotected anal sex and sex involving blood. Also talk with your doctor about getting tested for other sexually transmitted infections such as syphilis.

hepatitis B virus dna viral load
HCV Transmission

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint