HEP B VACCINE BOOSTER

Hi Doctor, I regularly get a full medical check-up (Blood Test) as I am a concerned person about being healthy. After my recent check-up, The doctor told me the result is very good but it's better to get the vaccine booster dose for HEP B within next year as your anti-body level is 207 ml/IU. I read on the different websites that HEP B antibody is quite effective once it's over 10 ml/IU or 100 ml/IU (I'm not sure). So do you think I need a booster dose at this stage?? Please advise. I don't have any specific health conditions or following treatments... Thank you...

Response from Dr. Taylor

A booster for the hep B vaccine is controversial. There is weak evidence supporting the need for booster vaccination.

In the US, a booster dose is not recommended for adults with healthy immune systems -- with some consideration for high-risk populations such as hemodialysis patients and healthcare workers.

The time to test the level of antibody is after completing the vaccine series. It sounds as though time has passed since you completed your vaccine series, thus I would expect your level to decline. So no I do not think you need a booster.

However if your doctor feels strongly about this, it is not unsafe to do as long as good infection control (clean needle for each injection) is available where you are.

hbsag
Hep B treatment