Girlfriend told me she was born with HepB Antibodies

Hi there,

I am very confused about this subject - the research I've done makes things even more confusing. From what I've read on here and elsewhere I think I am fine.. but hoping to get an ok from a doctor on here!

I will try and summarize as best as possible. Girlfriend told me she was born with Hepatitis B surface anti-bodies. She explained she has never had the actual virus - she only has the antibodies. She said her test levels are below 100 and it is almost impossible for me to contract anything. I happened to get a Hep B Surface Antibody test done in October of 2012 and it came back as I was immune; my Hep B Surface Ab was 342.92 greater than 10.

My question is: I had this test done a year and a half ago, and based on the information provided above I have received from girlfriend, do I need to worry about contracting Hepatitis B if we have sex? Do I need to get another round of Hep B shots? If she only has the surface antibodies and has never had the Hep B virus do I need to be concerned?

Thank you so much for your help and time.

-T

Response from Dr. Taylor

Your hepatitis B surface antibodies are protective as long as they were present before you had contact with your girlfriend. I do not know how long you have been together.

I am not clear about your girlfriend's status. Perhaps she was vaccinated at birth?

reactive for antihbc IGG
Is treatment an option now?