Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Girlfriend told me she was born with HepB Antibodies
Mar 27, 2014

Hi there,

I am very confused about this subject - the research I've done makes things even more confusing. From what I've read on here and elsewhere I think I am fine.. but hoping to get an ok from a doctor on here!

I will try and summarize as best as possible. Girlfriend told me she was born with Hepatitis B surface anti-bodies. She explained she has never had the actual virus - she only has the antibodies. She said her test levels are below 100 and it is almost impossible for me to contract anything. I happened to get a Hep B Surface Antibody test done in October of 2012 and it came back as I was immune; my Hep B Surface Ab was 342.92 greater than 10.

My question is: I had this test done a year and a half ago, and based on the information provided above I have received from girlfriend, do I need to worry about contracting Hepatitis B if we have sex? Do I need to get another round of Hep B shots? If she only has the surface antibodies and has never had the Hep B virus do I need to be concerned?

Thank you so much for your help and time.

-T

Response from Dr. Taylor

Your hepatitis B surface antibodies are protective as long as they were present before you had contact with your girlfriend. I do not know how long you have been together.

I am not clear about your girlfriend's status. Perhaps she was vaccinated at birth?

Previous
reactive for antihbc IGG
Next
Is treatment an option now?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.