Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hepatitis from eating utensils
Mar 9, 2014

Hi. Is it possible to get c if you share a spoon or a drinking glass with a person who might have hepatitis? I have read a lot about the topic, and i know that the most common answer to that question is no.

Also if a person has got a vaccine against hepatitis a and b, but is exposed to the virus, is it then possible that the person becomes a "healthy carrier" of the virus, and is able to infect another person which is not vaccinated?

I am pregnant and i am worried that i have been exposed to the virus when i shared this spoon and glass with a friend, which has travelled a lot but is vaccinated. I am not. Do i need testing? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Taylor

Hepatitis C cannot be spread or caught by sharing eating utensils.

If a person is vaccinated against hepatitis A and B on the correct schedule and has an appropriate response by developing the protective antibody, then no, she cannot catch these infections and thus cannot spread them to anyone.

All pregnant people should be checked for hepatitis B. If you were not vaccinated at birth you could have acquired this infection without knowing, at any point in your life. You have had unprotected vaginal intercourse which is a way to catch this infection. Please talk with your doctor about getting tested now. There are safe effective ways to prevent your baby from catching hepatitis B in case you do have it (vaccinating the baby at birth and in some parts of the world, HBIG), so it is better to know.

Previous
can I take dietery suplliments I have autoimmune hepatitis
Next
Receiving oral sex(fellatio) and Hepatitis B risk assesment

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.