hep C and transplant

Dr Tayor. Am having CT 3phase and EGD this week then I guess will find out my options. I have Johns Hopkins 20 min away and Univ of Md which has done lots of transplants. Not sure but if you receive a transplant to me how would it be successful if you still have HepC in your system? will be keep you informed. Thanksyou informed.

Response from Dr. Taylor

Hep C is the leading reason for liver transplant in the U.S. People with hep C can receive a liver transplant. The challenge is, is that the new liver can get re-infected with hep C. You are in wonderful hands as Hopkins and Univ. of Maryland have outstanding hep C care programs and physicians.

Some of the newer medications active against hep C are indicated and helpful for people awaiting liver transplant. For example, sofosbuvir was approved by the U.S. FDA in December, 2013, for people awaiting liver transplant who meet certain criteria. People can then be cured of hep C before receiving the new liver, which can lead to better liver health after transplant. Talk with your doctor about this medication and other new medications that may be given without interferon.

Hepatitis B Risk
hepatitis B therapy