Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hep C and transplant
Feb 15, 2014

Dr Tayor. Am having CT 3phase and EGD this week then I guess will find out my options. I have Johns Hopkins 20 min away and Univ of Md which has done lots of transplants. Not sure but if you receive a transplant to me how would it be successful if you still have HepC in your system? will be keep you informed. Thanksyou informed.

Response from Dr. Taylor

Hep C is the leading reason for liver transplant in the U.S. People with hep C can receive a liver transplant. The challenge is, is that the new liver can get re-infected with hep C. You are in wonderful hands as Hopkins and Univ. of Maryland have outstanding hep C care programs and physicians.

Some of the newer medications active against hep C are indicated and helpful for people awaiting liver transplant. For example, sofosbuvir was approved by the U.S. FDA in December, 2013, for people awaiting liver transplant who meet certain criteria. People can then be cured of hep C before receiving the new liver, which can lead to better liver health after transplant. Talk with your doctor about this medication and other new medications that may be given without interferon.

Previous
Hepatitis B Risk
Next
hepatitis B therapy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.