Hepatitis C

Hi Mam Lynn E, Taylor.... my question is that, i had hepatitis C 5 years ago (2 star ** initial stage) and i recovered from it by treatment(injections and tablets). after one year i repeated my PCR and it was negative.. few months ago i had sex and just a week ago i came to know that i m suffering from HCV positive (initial report not by PCR) so kindly tell me that do i have to worry about my sex partner , should she concern a doctor ? can i do sex again ? kissing may b harm ?

Response from Dr. Taylor

You may not have hep C at all. The hep C antibody remains positive for life. So after your were cured and became HCV RNA by PCR negative, your antibody did not go away, it does not. So first find out if you are HCV RNA by PCR positive-- if not, your don't have hep C and cannot infect anyone.

For people who do have hep C, and in case your PCR is positive-- hep C is not spread through kissing. Hep C is not typically spread by sex except if the sex involves blood, such as unprotected anal sex ( sex in the butt) and in particular among people living with HIV infection, especially HIV- infected gay men and other men who have sex with men.

blood tests
Does this result mean i have Hep B?