Follow-up to Jan 4 Hep C Q&A HCV treatment

Dear Dr. Taylor:

First, to be clear, I am not in a study. My insurance company is paying the $60,000+ price tag of the Sovaldi 400mg once daily) , Olysio (150mg once daily) and Ribivirin (600mg 2x daily). Second as I do take 10-12 different medications (besides those for Hep C) there was a full metabolic review done for drug compatibility. Most specifically for HIV I take Truvada and Isentress and these were both seen as safe with the Hep C drugs as well as my Diabetes medications (4 different ones) my anti-depressant, my acid reflex and Coreg for the heart.

Finally as to your concern regarding Q80K polymorphism, I am afraid it is too late to test for that. YOU SEE AFTER ONLY 12 DAYS ON THE NEW HEP C DRUGS MY HCV RNA QUANTITATIVE was NOT DETECTED!!!!! This after 20 years of infection and 4 failed treatments.

So I know I have more ground to cover--10 more weeks of treatment ahead and a year of remaining negative... but I still feel I am one of the luckiest persons in the US today!

And though people often have awful thing to say about their health insurance company, I can only say that my Oxford Health Plan (a division of United HealthCare) has been cooperative, supportive and expeditious in getting me the care I need.

Response from Dr. Taylor

This is wonderful news.

To clarify, and I am sorry if I was not clear, the Q80K polymorphism is important to check for when SIMEPREVIR is given with interferon. When it is used without interferon, there is not the need to check it.

I am familiar with dual therapy with simeprevir and sofosbuvir which leads to cure in over 90% of cases, but not with the data on the addition of the third agent, ribavirin, to this regimen. It sounds as though you are in wonderful hands with your hepatitis C physicians. I am so very happy for you that the treatment is working. I hope you achieve a cure.

Liver Infamation
coming off methadone with Hep c