For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

getting married but infected with Hep B.

Dear Dr.,

I am Hep B infected with viral load 1400 in June. It was 200 in 2012, and 700 in 2007 and 4000 in 2009. I was diagonised in 2006. No liver complications so far. Fibro scan was also normal in February. I am getting married next month but i cannot tell my gf that I am infected. I am thinking to have safe relationship unless she completes vaccination. Is it ok this way? Please suggest.

Response from Dr. Taylor

Hepatitis B is very contagious. Even with safe sex your gf can get infected. If you two have had ANY physical contact, she may already have caught hepatitis B. Remember that she could have been infected with hep B before even meeting you. We can catch hep B just by growing up in a household with someone with hep B. Many people have this infection and do not know it.

The ideal thing would be for her to be tested for hepatitis B. If she is vaccinated and she is already infected, the vaccine will not help her, but she will be under the impression that she is protected when she may have an infection that needs medical attention and can cause her harm without medical care.

If you are thinking of having your own children, it is very important that you and your gf know if she is infected or not. This impacts the ideal care the baby should receive at birth to prevent infection in the baby. This is a serious infection if acquired at birth thus it is best to know if a pregnant woman is infected, as we can provide care that will prevent the baby from getting hep B.

Hepatitis B Surface
Liver Infamation