If my toddler put her hands in a sharps container at a blood test place. As they left a sharps container very close to the ground the day I had to get bloods done. If my daughter did get poked by a used needle can she contract hep c or Hiv ? Kind regards dr

Response from Dr. Taylor

I would talk with your daughter's pediatrician about this as soon as you can. Hepatitis C especially can remain on surfaces for days, and there is risk of being infected with both viruses due to a needle stick injury. The risk is not high but it exists and your toddler should be tested.

Toddlers can get into everything even when we are very attentive as parents. Ideally your doctor should talk with the staff at the place you had blood drawn, about raising the sharps box to a higher level. All best to you.

HCV congenital transmission probability
under standing ,blood test