Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV and HCV
Dec 31, 2013

If my toddler put her hands in a sharps container at a blood test place. As they left a sharps container very close to the ground the day I had to get bloods done. If my daughter did get poked by a used needle can she contract hep c or Hiv ? Kind regards dr

Response from Dr. Taylor

I would talk with your daughter's pediatrician about this as soon as you can. Hepatitis C especially can remain on surfaces for days, and there is risk of being infected with both viruses due to a needle stick injury. The risk is not high but it exists and your toddler should be tested.

Toddlers can get into everything even when we are very attentive as parents. Ideally your doctor should talk with the staff at the place you had blood drawn, about raising the sharps box to a higher level. All best to you.

Previous
HCV congenital transmission probability
Next
under standing ,blood test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.