Hepatitis C and Alcohol

Dear Doctor, Happy festive holidays to you! People with Hepatitis C are advised to avoid alcohol or at the very least to consume alcohol in moderation. Could I ask what your take is on food that has been cooked with alcohol added - red wine in beef casserole or brandy in brandy cream for example? Is it best to avoid these foods? And what about vinegar? I understand that alcohol is used in the manufacturing of vinegar. Is vinegar best avoided? Thank you for your advice. John

Response from Dr. Taylor

Dear John, Yes you are correct, avoiding drinking alcohol when we have hepatitis C is very important. The combination of hep C and alcohol may increase our chances of developing cirrhosis (scarring of the liver) and liver cancer. For those who cannot yet stop consuming alcohol, less is best. HOWEVER, vinegar is fine, so enjoy vinegar!! As much as you'd like, no harm to the liver.

As for eating foods cooked with alcohol on occasion, this is okay to do. The amount of alcohol in a single portion would be very small. As long as this is a once in a while thing, I would not be concerned about it. All best to you.

hb positive
HIV+HBV Atripla alternative