Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hep C infectiousness through sex
Dec 23, 2013

Dear Dr. Taylor,

I have been living with HIV for 3 years, but I am undetectable with a CD4 926. I did, however, ignorantly have receptive unprotected sex for maybe about 30 sec before I told him to stop. I have heard that Hep C is most easily obtained through sharing needles and not as easily obtained through sex, but, assuming that he did have Hep C,is there a high likelihood that I could have been infected with Hep C? I haven't taken a Hep C test yet, I just wanted to check up with you about whether or not Hep C is actually more difficult to transmit via sex rather than sharing needles.

Response from Dr. Taylor

Hep C is most efficiently spread through sharing needles and other equipment used to inject drugs, and via transfusion of blood or blood products that contain hep C.

However hep C may be spread with sex especially in the presence of HIV. Unprotected anal intercourse ( penis in the butt without a condom) is the highest risk sexual activity. There is an alarming rise in new hep C infections among HIV- infected gay men and other men who have sex with men. There are also data suggesting higher risk of sexually transmitted hep C among HIV- infected women who haves sex with men who have hep C.

So yes please do get tested for hep C.

Previous
HCV transmiting by blood
Next
Can a CBC checking elevated liver enzymes help hint towards hcv?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.