Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

bsag is reactive
Dec 14, 2013

hi,i am 27 years old and three months pregnant.my hbsag is reactive and i am so worry about it.i dont know how can i am hbsag reactive.please dr help me.how can i protect my pregnancy from this virus.

Response from Dr. Taylor

ASk your doctor if your baby can be vaccinated against hepatitis B immediately at birth. If your baby can be vaccinated according to the recommended schedule, this lowers the chance that your baby will be infected....by a lot!!! In addition, ask your doctor if you can access hepatitis B immune globulin (HBIG). If you live in part of the world with a blood supply that is safely checked for infections, giving HGIB to an infant at birth further decreases the chance that an infant will get hepatitis B. So with the combination of the vaccine and HGIB most infants do NOT acquire hep B if their mother has the infection.

Hepatitis B is a sexually transmitted infection. You became pregnant by having unprotected intercourse -- this is one of the ways to catch hepatitis B. There are many others, including living in close conditions with a person/persons with hep B. If there are people you live with or have sex with who have hep B, ideally they should be tested, diagnosed and in care with a physician. If there are people you live with or have sex with who do NOT have hep B, ideally they should be vaccinated against hepatitis B.

Talk to your doctor about reasons why it may be helpful to treat hepatitis B with medications, now or after you give birth. Hep B medications are NOT necessary in pregnancy, and as with any medications in pregnancy, there are down sides... the decision to take hepatitis B medications in pregnancy is a complex one based on an individual's hep B status, health, and access to a physician with expertise in hep B in pregnancy and to safe medications.

Hep B in general does NOT harm a pregnancy, so do not worry about this. The main issue is talking with your doctor about preventing infection in your baby with the vaccine and ideally HBIG too....and talking with your doctor about your liver health and if/when you should be treated with hep B medications for your health.

I suggest talking with your doctor about getting tested for HIV also now in pregnancy, very important. All best to you.

Previous
HCV treatment
Next
Sofosbuvir

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.