Hepatitis B

I had three doses of HBV vaccine. When I went for test, HBSAG was positive. What could this mean? was I infected before vaccination or it was caused by vaccine? I went to a consultant and no complications were found in all test. It is five months since the test was conducted. Hope to hear from you soon

Response from Dr. Taylor

You likely were infected before vaccination.

The vaccine does not cause hepatitis B. However unsafe injection practices can transmit hepaititis B. So if you are in a place where the needle used to administer the vaccine was not a new one, and was used on a person with hepatitis B, it is possible that you acquired hepatitis B from the infected needle'syringe.

Ideally, next steps include stopping alcohol and tobacco use if you use (these increase the risk of liver cancer with hepatitis B); getting tested for HIV, hepatitis C and hepatitis A; and getting some additional liver-related blood tests including hepatitis B DNA, eAg and ALT. These results will help your doctor determine next best steps regarding treatment.

HBs test what to do
h.i.v./h.c.v. and psoriatic arthritis treatment options?