HEPATITIS C

my doctors say I am not elegable for treatment because my platelet count is too low, what can I take,I also have cirrhosis

Response from Dr. Taylor

Talk with your doctor about what the level of your platelet count is specifically, to be sure it is definitely too low to permit safe treatment. When there is cirrhosis of the liver that is well-compensated (other parts of the body are still healthy), hepatitis C treatment leading to cure can be quite beneficial to one's health.

Interferon is the hepatitis C medication that has the biggest effect on platelet counts. Ask your doctors about your genotype and whether they can look into accessing pills for your hepatitis C that may be used without interferon, over the next months when news pills may become available in some parts of the world.

Talk with your doctors about whether you may be screened for liver cancer every 6 months with an ultrasound, and screened for varices (swollen veins) with EGD (endoscopy, looking down through the mouth to see veins inside). Avoid alcohol and cigarettes which increase the chance of developing liver cancer.

Hep. B reactive.
Hepatitis c