alcohol and hepc

I recently went through interferon treatment after six months was non detected. I drank some alcohol after 2 months went back for blood test. I came back detected hepc was it a false positive or did alcohol bring it back?

Response from Dr. Taylor

It sounds as though you relapsed after the hepatitis C treatment. This can happen and means the infection is still there. Re-treatment in the future is something to discuss with your doctor. This happens even with the best medications for hepatitis C. Taking all doses of all the medications can reduce the risk. Some types of hepatitis C are harder to cure and more often are associated with relapse, the reappearance of the virus within the first 6 months after treatment ends.

Alcohol is not safe for the liver when there is hepatitis C infection; less is better, none is best. However hepatitis C can be cured even when people drink alcohol. I am not aware of any evidence supporting increased risk of relapse due to alcohol use. The fact that your virus came back probably had to do with other things.

Alcohol increases the risk for developing cirrhosis (scarring) of the liver and liver cancer, so it is important to find a doctor to talk with about how to cut down and ideally stop using alcohol. All best to you.

Do i need to test constantly?
skin prick with blade for health care worker