relapse from hep c after treatment

in 1991 I was diagnosed with hep-c. did not treat due to doctors lack on knowledge until 1998. Had a successful recovery after 2 treatments. one was 8mos. the other was 12mos. long. Lately, I have been experiencing flu like symptoms more often, and the duration seems to be getting longer, and happening about every month for 3 months. This last bout has given me some reason to believe possible relapse because of my overall health.

Response from Dr. Taylor

Once a person is surely CURED of hepatitis C, there is not a relapse. If you were definitely cured of hepatitis C, and now are not feeling well, it would be best to discuss with your doctor and be evaluated for a re-infection with hepatitis C, or another health issue.

Relapse is a term we use to describe re-emergence of the hepatitis C virus within 6 month after treatment. In this case the the hepatitis C viral load had gone to zero (non-detetectable) but then within 6 months following the end of treatment, was seen again in the blood. This means that the infection is still present and there was not a cure.

need Hepatitis b vaccine?
antibody