My spleen has been removed...

I had completed the HBV series 5 years before my spleen was removed as a result of an accident. I received all my childhood/prior vaccinations again...Am I still immune to HBV, or do I have to get the series again? My doctor said I don't have to, but that doesn't make sense because I had to get all the others again...?

Response from Dr. Taylor

Your doctor is correct. There are certain types of bacterial infections people without spleens are most prone to. These include bacteria that are encapsulated, such as H. influenza and meningococcus. Hepatitis B is not the classic infection people who have had a splenectomy are prone to acquiring.

However I err on the side of caution with hepatitis B and vaccination -- when in doubt, there is no harm in re-vaccinating. If she/he checks the levels of your hepatitis B surface antibody and they are not protective, although your immune system most likely remembers hepatitis B, it cannot hurt to be revaccinated.

hep b
HAV-IgG