Tace

Hi Dr., I was diagnosed with hcc last july 2011 due to hepa b.Found out a 3 cm tumor in my liver and is malignant..Had a tace on that same month and after 3 months had an rfa..From then on i had ultrasound every 3 months and ct scan every 6 months..Last month the apf was 11.36 and doctor suggested again a tace..Because i was so tight of money i asked her that i can do it next month..She ordered ultrasound and the result was from 3/3/2.7 now its 2.6/2.6/2.2 and the hvb dna results is hvb not detected..I still didn't see my doctor cause she's out of the country and my question is am i in a bad situation?thank you Doctor for your time..Btw for 2 yrs now i'm taking baraclude..Do i have to continue taking the drugs?Need something to ease my worries..

Response from Dr. Taylor

HCC, or hepatocellular carcinoma, is a cancer that starts in the liver. Hepatitis B is a common cause of HCC (although only a fraction of people with hepatitis B develop HCC). Alcohol use of any type greatly increases our chance of developing HCC.

With HCC ideally you are followed closely by your doctor, so if possible I would follow her instructions. I suggest staying on your hepatitis B medication to keep your hepatitis B viral load (HBV DNA) NON-DETECTABLE; this is very important with HCC. I am glad to hear the your HBV DNA was recently non-detectable. I wish you the very best.

HIV with hep C and heart attacks
hepatitis B an C