The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Aug 18, 2013

Hi Dr., I was diagnosed with hcc last july 2011 due to hepa b.Found out a 3 cm tumor in my liver and is malignant..Had a tace on that same month and after 3 months had an rfa..From then on i had ultrasound every 3 months and ct scan every 6 months..Last month the apf was 11.36 and doctor suggested again a tace..Because i was so tight of money i asked her that i can do it next month..She ordered ultrasound and the result was from 3/3/2.7 now its 2.6/2.6/2.2 and the hvb dna results is hvb not detected..I still didn't see my doctor cause she's out of the country and my question is am i in a bad situation?thank you Doctor for your time..Btw for 2 yrs now i'm taking baraclude..Do i have to continue taking the drugs?Need something to ease my worries..

Response from Dr. Taylor

HCC, or hepatocellular carcinoma, is a cancer that starts in the liver. Hepatitis B is a common cause of HCC (although only a fraction of people with hepatitis B develop HCC). Alcohol use of any type greatly increases our chance of developing HCC.

With HCC ideally you are followed closely by your doctor, so if possible I would follow her instructions. I suggest staying on your hepatitis B medication to keep your hepatitis B viral load (HBV DNA) NON-DETECTABLE; this is very important with HCC. I am glad to hear the your HBV DNA was recently non-detectable. I wish you the very best.

HIV with hep C and heart attacks
hepatitis B an C

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint