HCV infection

Hello. I was diagnosed with acute hcv January this year. I had all symptoms you can think of including Jaundice. My ast and alt was 3000. PT & PTT were out of control. I did a pcr and my viral load was 13500 back in January. In end of May I did another and it said <10. My doctor said it means that its undetectable because most machine cannot read below 30 and I used a more sensitive pcr that cannot read below 10. So the machine saying less than 10 means it cannot detect anything below 10. My ast and alt as of now are normal approx 20 for each,well below the normal range of <40. PT and PTT are normal. I did a C reactive protein test and ESR along with blood test to kinda rule out ongoing infection and they are all normal. Did I clear the virus on my own? What you think? I did have all the indications that I would have a high chance of clearing it on my own except being female and white.I am mixed east indian and black. I had symptoms and Jaundice. I am a 24 year old male. My ast and alt was sky high, I was admitted to the hospital and underwent supportive therapy since I was in really bad shape vomiting all the time with chills and fever. I had low levels of the virus, just 13500 when I first checked. I am sure I cleared it spontaneously. I contracted it after a nose operation for breathing at end of November 2012 in a 3rd world country. I had nasal polyps. I did try ozone therapy but I read everywhere that its ineffective and at best is just a therapy for well being and keeping healthy although claims were made that it cured hepatitis of all types and HIV. As regards HIV, I never had sex in my life so far and before I did the operation I was HIV negative.

Response from Dr. Taylor

It sounds as though you spontaneously cleared your hepatitis C infection. If there is no hepatitis C virus 26 weeks after the initial acute infection (start timeline at peak ALT), then a person has cleared the infection in the acute (new) phase without medications. This occurs in approximately 15-20% of inidividuals exposed to hepatitis C. Ideally you would have 1 more HCV RNA by PCR to make sure the viral load is negative, as I am hearing you had your last HCV RNA checked 5 months after exposure. I would suggest that you do this to be sure once and for all. Yes, the jaundice and presence of symptoms increase the chance of spontaneous resolution of infection; I am sorry that you were so ill but hopefully this led to the virus going away without antiviral medications being needed. Remember this can ONLY occur in the acute phase of hepatitis C, not once it becomes a chronic infection.

Remember that a person can catch hepatitis C again. The hepatitis C antibody remains reactive (positive) for life typically and does not protect us against re-infection.

I suggest being tested for other infections that may be spread via blood/surgery if infection control practices cannot be assured. These include HIV and hepatitis B if you are not already infected or immune.

Ozone therapy does not cure HIV or viral hepatitis.

treatment HIV/HBV/epilepsy
Hepa Profile - Please Help