What needs to be done?

Dear Dr.Taylor,I will be very grateful if you could let me know as to what is the problem here and is there any remedy.My bilirubin has been high since 1998.Other parameters such as ALS/ALT/Alk.Phosphatase/GGT/Lactate Dehydrogenase etc.are normal.I have been immunized for HEP-A and B.Does something have to be done?

Response from Dr. Taylor

Elevation in bilirubin that is not accompanied by other blood test abnormalities is a common issue.

There is a long list of potential explanations. General categories include overproduction of bilirubin; impairment in conjugating (joining) bilirubin with another chemical; liver inflammation; or biliary obstruction.

In many situations this causes no harm; in others, there is a condition that may warrant further care. A careful medical history, physical exam and evaluation by a physician can get to the bottom of this.

HBV & HCV PCR results
hep B results