HCV treatment with Pegintron and Ribiviron

How many weeks of treatment is sufficient? The pamphlet says 48 weeks but at 44 weeks, I am unable to continue it's so difficult. I also had a liver transplant successfully 2 years ago without issues.

Response from Dr. Taylor

The ideal treatment duration depends on a number of factors, including the specific type of anti-hep C medications, whether one is also infected with HIV, the hepatitis C genotype and how fast it takes to get to a non-detectable hep C viral load in the blood.

The 48 weeks you are referring to sounds like a recommended 48-week treatment course for genotype 1 or 4 hep C with interferon-based therapy. Studies with interferon have examined 48 weeks of therapy and we do not have data how much one's chance of cure decreases with stopping 4 weeks early.

I would ask your doctor about when you became non-detectable; ideally you would have 36 weeks of therapy from this point.

In the big scheme of things, 4 weeks should not make much of a difference regarding your chance of cure. If the treatment is causing you harm, and/or making you too ill, you have to stop. Congratulations on getting through 44 weeks AND a liver transplantation, both incredible achievements.

Hypothyroidism and HIV/Hep C
my hep b s ab quant result