low HCV count?

Dear Dr Taylor,

Thank you for your previous replies regarding my HIV & HCV infections. I have received the results of my labs today, my HIV viral load continues to be undetectable and CD4 is 750. Regarding my newly diagnosed HCV, the VL is 1800 (one thousand eight hundred), the genotype, says the report, could not be done due to the low count..This is my first HCV VL result, and will have to be repeated in 4 weeks time. Would it be too soon to assume that the virus is being cleared out? Thank you in advance

Response from Dr. Taylor

This is good news following a recent, new hepatitis C infection. Your body may be getting rid of the hepatitis C on its own without medications, which can sometimes happen within the first 6 months of a new hep C infection. However during these initial months the hep C viral load can jump around from a high to a low value. So, you cannot tell if you have cleared the infection yet, best to wait 12 weeks from the time of the new infection and recheck the hep C viral load. Ideally a qualitative HCV RNA test should be used if available. All best to you and keep taking your HIV meds.

Hepatitis Bs AB Quant
hepatitis tests