AIH treatment on HIV

My Dr has started me on Azathioprine and Prednisone for treatment of Autoimmune Hepatitis. I have been on Atripla for over three years and have a undetectable VL and CD4 count in the high 800's. I am worried that being on these new drugs will wipe out the good numbers I have worked so hard to bring up. My CD4 was once 123. Is this something I should be concerned with?

Response from Dr. Taylor

It is important that your autoimmune hepatitis gets treated. It sounds as though you are in very good hands and are on the best possible medications. There is not a choice in my view -- autoimmune hepatitis requires treatment.

Is your AIH doctor the same as your HIV doctor? If not it would be ideal for these physicians to be in communication. In most cases HIV-infected people on HIV medications do very well with treatment for AIH and the HIV RNA (viral load) and CD4 cell count are not harmed. Prednisone and Azathioprine require close monitoring and sometimes extra medications, so it is important to discuss this with your AIH doctor.

Hep B Sur test results
Hepatitis B result