Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hep C pregnacy and precautions
May 20, 2013

I have been told that my son and his girlfriend have Hep C.....Now the quetion.. His girlfriemd is pregnant....told me dr was going to do C section. Is this the safest way to protect the baby . I have custody of their son....what precautions should be taken to protect him while he visits them.

Response from Dr. Taylor

There is no evidence that C-section decreases transmission of hepatitis C from a pregnant woman to her baby. This should not be the reason for a C-section, which is a big operation much more risky than a spontaneous vaginal delivery. Perhaps there is another reason for the C-section.

The chance of passing hep C through pregnancy is low overall (5% or so), unless the woman has HIV infection also. In this case the chance of passing both viruses is higher and the woman should be under care pf physicians who can assist in decreasing the risks of passing HIV and hep C.

There is no medication that can be safely taken for hep C during pregnancy.

Breastfeeding is safe and encouraged for women with hep C, unless they also have HIV, or unless their nipples are cracked and bleeding. Overall breastfeeding is so beneficial that it should be encouraged whenever possible.

Regarding their son, he cannot catch hep C through casual contact. There is no worry about the visits and hepatitis C spread. The only things to consider, and these are LOW risk exposures -- would be keeping him from blood containing your son and his girlfriend's hep C -- so no sharing their toothbrushes or razors. If your son or his girlfriend gets a cut and bleeds, they should cover the wound.

Previous
posble cntamination of hepa b
Next
ER physician Born w hep B

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.