HIV/HCV coinfection

Dear Dr Taylor,

Thank you for your recent reply. I have been reading about Hep C treatment, here and in other sites, and must say thatI feel very confused: On one hand it seems that the strategy regarding newly HCV infected people is to wait to see if the Hep C infection clears by itself. On the other hand, there are opinions that starting treatment during the acute phase is recommendable, as the chances of success are greater than in chronic HepC. So would it be logic to conclude that treatment should start as soon as possible instead of waiting for a "probably" spontaneous Clarence, whilst the chances of successful treatment are higher? In my particular case, I fear that the 8-12 weeks wait may take me in the chronic phase, thus reducing the chances of a good response to treatment. What approach would you take? Thank you Paco

Response from Dr. Taylor

If your doctor can pinpoint when you were infected, then waiting 12 weeks from this timepoint to see if you spontaneously resolve infection is the standard of care. If you do not get rid of the infection on your own after 12 weeks, you and your doctor can consider hepatitis C treatment. You do not lose anything by waiting the 12 weeks but there are risks to getting treated with medications when you did not need the medications.

I appreciate that it can be hard to wait these few weeks. During this time it can be helpful to get prepared in case you DO start hep C medications. Get things ready regarding your work if you work, sleep, exercise, healthy diet, stopping alcohol and tobacco if possible else at least cutting down, taking other medications and considering other health issues. Make sure you talk with your doctor or a trusted health professional to understand why you caught hep C, and how to prevent getting infected again. Make sure you were tested for other infections that go along with hep C, such as HIV and syphilis. Wishing you the very best.

Hepatitis c genotype 1a treatment
posble cntamination of hepa b