Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I test for Hepatitis C if I have been tested for HIV?
Apr 4, 2013

Apologies if this has been answered, but I could not find a direct answer. I have been tested numbers of times for HIV, and they have come back negative. A few years ago, I had a partner who came back HIV positive. After that relationship ended I went to get tested for HIV, and as stated it came back negative. Because this individual was HIV positive, should I get tested for Hepatitis C als?, just in case. I would imagine if I was not infected by HIV, I would not have a Coinfection. But I'm not sure if Hepatitis can be transmitted seperate to HIV on this occasion with this partner.

Response from Dr. Taylor

Hep C is rarely spread through sex unless among HIV-infected gay men and other men who have sex with men. So if you are a man who has/had sex with men, yes I suggest getting a hep C test. Again, hep C is rarely spread through heterosexual sex.

Hep C is more infectious than HIV through blood exposures, so if you ever injected drugs, shared straws to snort cocaine, or live in a part of the world where there are not always sterile medical procedures, I suggest getting a hep C test.

Previous
Hep c contracting.
Next
Anti-HAV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.