Questions about Hepatitis C Please help

Hi Dr. Taylor, I have a few questions I would like to ask. After reading information about Hepatitis C online. I have some concerns. The internet stated a person has to wait 6 months to be tested for Hepatitis C. I was tested for STD's, HIV, Herpes 1 & 2, and Hepatitis A, B, and C at 4 months. All my labs were non-reactive. Do I need to be re-tested for Hepatitis C to make my 6 month mark, or can I move on. Please help.

Response from Dr. Taylor

There are some instances in which people exposed to hep C do not develop the hep C antibody within 3-6 months, and seroconversion (going from the non-reactive to reactive) hep C screening test may be delayed. For example in a study from the UK (Thomson, journal called AIDS), some people who had HIV infection, did not develop a reactive hep C antibody test until 6 months- slightly over a year, from the time of exposure.

For you, an issue is if/when you had a most recent exposure to hep C. If it was in the past year, then yes safest to repeat the test. If it was years ago, you would have developed the reactive result by now, so can rely on your current result.

hbsag reactive in pregnancy
risk of fathering child with treated HCV parent