Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV/HCV coinfection
Mar 8, 2013

Dr. Taylor:

I had originally been found (in Aug 2012) to have a HCV v/l of 3,000,000. At the same time, My Hiv v/l previously undetectable for 10 years ahd gone to 28,000. My lat testing 2 months ago showed a HIV v/l of 50 (yes, fifty!) and a HCV v/l of 16,000. The doctors decided to hold off treatment for HCV and wait until newer treatments come out A liver biopsy scaled my a 2 (not really sure what that means..) My HIV regimen was changed from Kaletra/Truvada to Kaletra/Truvada/Isentress-ID wanting to keep one extra drug on there as it can be used against HCV I have upcoming labs coming the end of this week.. Can my body actually be clearing the HCV-or is it a blip in the v/l?

Thanks!

Response from Dr. Taylor

Our bodies can get rid of hep C on their own in a minority of cases, within the first 6 months or so of a new hep C infection.

I cannot tell from the information you have, when you caught your hep C. If you get your hep C viral load repeated now and the virus is still present, since 6 months have passed since your first hep C viral load, you likely have chronic hep C. This infection can be cured with treatment.

If your hep C viral load is repeated now and is negative, see if you can get another hep C viral load in a month or so. If it remains undetectable, you have cleared the virus on your own without medications. If this is the case, try to talk with your doctor about the ways to keep from getting infected again.

I am sorry but I am not sure what you mean by, "My HIV regimen was changed from Kaletra/Truvada to Kaletra/Truvada/Isentress-ID wanting to keep one extra drug on there as it can be used against HCV." Your HIV medications are good ones, but they are not active against hep C. Currently we do not have medications that work against both HIV and hep C. Maintaining a non-detectable HIV viral load is beneficial in general and especially when one also has hep C.

Previous
HIV and HBV co-infection
Next
Can anyone explain these test results for Hepatitis B?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.