Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hepatitis B - Non responder?
Feb 23, 2013

On a routine yearly exam, labs came back HBsAg+, Anti-HBc IgM and Hep B core antibody total are both negative. Was just told I was infected. My spouse tested neg. I have had 3 series of immunizations over the years for college and the military. One in 2000, 2005 and 2006. Came back from Iraq in 2010 and was tested before and after and was negative. Now I'm wondering if I am a non-responder. My LFTs are AST86, ALT139, GGT266. Can you tell me if this is an acute infection from these test results? What are the next steps? I do not have any of the risk factors, single sex partner, no drugs. I cannot understand how I contracted this. Also, I am on Lipitor for cholesterol, should I continue? The doctor that drew these tests didn't say anything and just referred me to a gastro who said he doesn't take care of hepatitis patients, so not sure what to do next. How do I know how long I've had this?

Response from Dr. Taylor

I cannot tell for sure from these test results if this is an acute infection, but the results are not highly suggestive of acute hep B. Often the Anti-HBc IgM is positive in an acute infection, but it depends on the timing of when the labs were drawn after catching hepatitis B. See if you have had a test for the virus itself, HBV DNA. Are your LFTs higher now than in the past? Newly elevated? Have you had any symptoms? Typically acute hep B is associated with symptoms. Are you sure the SAg and not the SAb is positive?

This may be an old infection that pre-dated your vaccinations. Can you see if you were tested to ensure the vaccine worked, after you were vaccinated in 2000, 2005, 2006? The hep B SAb, surface antibody, would have been reactive/positive if so.

Hep B is highly contagious through many bodily fluids. Often people catch hep B through sex before they are vaccinated. Sometimes it is impossible to go back and figure out how we got it.

The VA should have good hep B docs to help you. I would ask to see a hep B expert. She/he can help you figure this out and guide you through any additional tests needed. If your local VA does not have a hep B expert, ask to be sent to another VA that has a hep B expert.

I am not sure of the full context of your other health issues so would confer with your doctor regarding the Lipitor.

It would be ideal if your spouse can be checked for hep B, sAg, SAb, core Ab, and get vaccinated if not infected and not protected. Again the VA should be helping you with this.

Thank you so much for your service.

Previous
Types and Stages of Hep-C. What are they ?
Next
hepatitis and health care workers

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.