Types and Stages of Hep-C. What are they ?

What is Type-II, Stage-II? Explain what this means. I have this diagnosis and I have done the Interferon Pagesys treatment. I could not get my counts to come down toundetectable.

Response from Dr. Taylor

The types of hepatitis C refer to the strains, or variations, of the virus. These are called genotypes. I think of these like flavors of ice cream -- chocolate, vanilla, coffee, mango, green tea -- there are different flavors of hep C. The genotype you have comes from the genotype you caught when you caught hep C. The treatments for hep C vary depending on the genotype. Both the particular medications and duration of treatment can be affected by one's genotype. In general we think of genotypes 1 through 6 with subtypes noted by letters, for example 1a 1b 1c. Genotypes are clustered around the world in different ways. For example, in the U.S. 75% of people have type 1. In Europe, more people have genotypes 2 and 3.

Stage refers to how much scarring is in the liver. There are several different staging systems. The higher the number, the more the scarring. I would ask your doctor what staging system she/he uses, for example 1-6 or 1-4.

Hepatitis B Profile test
Hepatitis B - Non responder?