Acute Hepatitis C

I started having nausea, vomiting, jaundice and high alt, ast (3000)1 month after a nose operation. I did a anti HCV test when symptoms occured and it was negative. 2 1/2 weeks later I did another hcv test and it was mildly positive. I have no risk factors for hepatitis C except the operation. I did the PCR for viral load 1 week after the anti HCV test and it turns out that I have acute Hepatitis C level is 13500. Should I check for the genotype and what are my chances that I may recover on my own?

Response from Dr. Taylor

I would discuss with your doctor, waiting for 12 weeks from the time of your initial jaundice, and elevated ALT and AST, to see if the new hepatitis C infection goes away on its own. If the HCV RNA, the viral load, is still detectable after 12 weeks, I would discuss with your doctor being treated for hepatitis C in the acute, or new phase, when cure rates are very high.

If your infection does not go away on its own after 12 weeks, and you cannot access hepatitis C medications, the good news is, is that newer medications are being developed which give you a very high chance of cure of hepatitis C even if you need to get treated later.

hbsag
Does sharing vial of steroid(testosterone 400) risky for HIV AND hapitatis