For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Hepatitis C

I started having nausea, vomiting, jaundice and high alt, ast (3000)1 month after a nose operation. I did a anti HCV test when symptoms occured and it was negative. 2 1/2 weeks later I did another hcv test and it was mildly positive. I have no risk factors for hepatitis C except the operation in which case he doctors who did it assured me that everything was sterile and virtually impossible to get it from the operation. Do you think I really have hepatitis C? What do u think? Can it be a false positive?

Response from Dr. Taylor

I am concerned about your symptoms and high AST/ALT. The operation may be related, or not. It is certainly possible that you have a new hepatitis C infection. I suggest geting a test for HCV RNA, the hepatitis C virus itself. Additionally, see if you can see a doctor who specializes in hepatitis C.

Remember, if you do have hepatitis C, you may clear it on your own within the first few weeks. Otherwise, the infection can be cured with medications.

Which SNRI increases dopamine the most?
Crystal meth response