treatment plan acute hepatitis C

sir I am a healthcare worker and I got a needle stick injury of a hcv patient on 1st oct 2012 and after one month I had jaundice with bilirubin 4.8 .sgpt 1600 sgot 600 but hep c was negative on that time . on routine evaluation check-up done on 26 dec 12 i am weakly positive for hepc. my hepatitis c viral rna @1500iu/ml(linear reporting range of assay is 43-6.3 *10 raised 7iu/ml ) and hcv genotype 3(limit of detection for all genotype is a viral load of 500 iu/ml..) the doctor advised me that no need for treatment it will we negative with in one month ... sir I am in great mentally tensioned state please give me a proper advise sir now I am recovering from jaundice is that jaundice is due to hep c??? pleas give m reply aand ur treatment plan

thanks and regards

Response from Dr. Taylor

I would discuss waiting for 12 weeks from the time of your initial jaundice, elevated bilirubin, and elevated SGPT and SGOT, to see if the new hepatitis C infection goes away on its own. If the HCV RNA, the viral load, is still detectable after 12 weeks, I would discuss with your doctor being treated for hepatitis C in the acute, or new phase, when cure rates are very high.

The jaundice is likely due to the new hepatitis C infection. The fact that you developed jaundice may mean that you have an especially high chance of clearing this infection out of your body on your own. You'll know more after 12 weeks from the time of your jaundice, a month after the needle stick.

Many health care workers sustaining a needle stick find that the infection goes away on its own within a few weeks. This may be because we get a lower amount of virus entering the body with a single needle stick injury than we do if we inject drugs and have repeated exposures over time.

If your infection does not go away on its own after 12 weeks, and you cannot access hepatitis C medications, the good news is, is that newer medications are being developed which give you a very high chance of cure of hepatitis C even if you need to get treated later. I wish you the very best.

hepatitis can it turn into hiv
recent HIV/HCV