The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

negative blood work HCV
Jan 13, 2013

can you have a negative blood test for hep-c in 1992 but in 1998 been told I have hep-c and with no treatment Iam in 5th stage of ciroses now does it not take years to get to this stage I do not drink. thank you

Response from Dr. Taylor

The progression of hepatitis C disease is variable. In many people the infection causes damage very slowly over many years. In some people living with HIV infection, for example, hepatitis C can progress more rapidly. Thus I suggest a test for HIV infection.

If we catch hepatitis C at an age greater than 40 years of age, the disease may move along more quickly.

Sometimes there are other types of disease in the liver in addition to hepatitis C, that may accelerate the liver disease. For example people may have hemochromatosis, steatosis, or hepatitis B. Talk with your doctor about evaluation for a second type of liver disease that may be contributing to the development of your cirrhosis.

Some substances in addition to alcohol can shorten the time to cirrhosis. For example there is evidence that daily marijuana (pot) can be harmful to the liver. Smoking cigarettes increases the risk for development of liver cancer, so if you smoke or use marijuana work with your doctor to stop ideally or at least cut down.

It is also possible that your 1992 test was falsely negative, or that you had just acquired hepatitis C before the antibody could develop.

differance between HAV antibodies and HAV IgM
i have hep c where can i get help in wv

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint