recovery from acute HBV and Anti HBs titre

Dear Dr Taylor, I recovered from an acute episode of hep b and my serology now shows hbsag = neg, anti hbc = reactive, anti hbs = 15. I think that that means natural immunity has occured however I'm confused by a health advisor at the clinic who said that anti hbs <100 isn't protective and that I may need a vaccination. What do you think? Many thanks Michael

Response from Dr. Taylor

Dear Michael, I am glad that you recovered from your acute episode of hepatitis B. I think that natural immunity has occurred and you are protected from re-infection.

If you were acutely ill with hepatitis B and now have the blood test results you indicate, you do not need hepatitis B vaccination even if you have low titres of anti-HBs. Individuals in this situation are able to mount an effective immune response should they be re-exposed to hepatitis B. The levels of anti HBs are more relevant right after completing the vaccine series to see if one has developed an appropriate response.

Fatty liver
anti hcv