Hepatitis C virus

Hello Dr Taylor.Can Hepatitis C Virus be developed to the cirrhosis or Cancer, if my HCVab(+)but HCV-PCR is still undetectable about 6 years ago? Can it be transmitted through by my sperm to my wife or not and why? And how about oral cavity(teeth),if i have teeth problem(gingivitis)?

Response from Dr. Taylor

If your HCV antibody (Ab) is positive but your HCV-PCR (hepatitis C virus count) is still undetectable about 6 years ago, and you had the HCV-PCR confirmed negative on more than 1 occasion, you do not have chronic hepatitis C infection. Either you were exposed and cleared the infection on your own, or you were exposed and were treated and cured. Either way, you do not have chronic hepatitis C, and thus there is no infection that can be spread to anyone.

The HCV Ab is NOT protective, meaning that you can become reinfected. So if you had any risk for reinfection with HCV since your last HCV-PCR test, have it repeated.

As to whether a past hepatitis C virus infection now gone can lead to cirrhosis or liver cancer, the way this can happen is if the liver had advanced scarring at the time the hepatitis C infection was cured with medications, or if there are additional types of liver disease ongoing, such as fatty liver disease. So I recommend getting the liver checked by a doctor yearly after hepatitis C infection is cured with medications.

After 15th PEG INF (Can not take more)
Fatty liver