atripla and milk thissle/fish oil

currently atripla, and wanted to know if i can use supplements like milk thissle for the liver. and fish oil pills for my cholesterol

Response from Dr. Taylor

Milk thistle is not known to directly interact with Atripla. Fish oil is not known to directly interact with Atripla.

That being said, while I understand and respect the desire to take herbal medications and supplements, I would not take any without discussing the specific supplements with your doctor. The evidence to date does not support a benefit of milk thistle against hepatitis C virus. Fish oil while beneficial for certain health issues, is not safe in certain conditions and should not be taken without a doctor's direction.

Some supplements, such as St. John's Wart, are not safe with Atripla. So again your doctor knows best, please discuss with her/him.

Question regarding HepB vacination
acute hepatitis C from Richard -- correction!