Concern for hepatitis b

Dear dr.

Ur answer will calm me down. As i am in a very worried...

Iam living in nigeria for 5 years now as a single man, i had numerous encounters with csw, all protected with condom all time during vaginal sex and few times oral sex without condom like 4 times max.

I have taken 2 shots of vaccination for hepatitis b and didnt continue the 3rd from 4 years ago,

now i am getting married and i have this fear of hepatitis b as i was diagnosed with hepatitis a from 10 years,

Is there any chance that i have hepatitis b and not knowing it, last time i had sex was one year ago, no symptoms of illness. Kindly help me with ur advice , i am travelilng home in one month and i want to test myself and i am very worried plz advice me

Response from Dr. Taylor

It is possible to have hepatitis B without having any symptoms. So yes there is a chance that you have hepatitis B and do not know it.

It is wonderful that you started the hepatitis B vaccination series. Ideally we should receive the complete series of 3 shots. Sometimes we develop protection against hepatitis B without taking all the shots (so maybe you ARE protected and cannot catch hepatitis B), but if possible it is best to complete the series of shots according to the recommended schedule. Even receiving 1 or 2 shots is better than receiving none!

Sometimes people receive the shots AFTER they have hepatitis B infection. In this case the vaccines will not help prevent or treat the hepatitis B infection. The shots will not cause harm either in this case. If you did not receive the vaccines at birth then it is possible that you had hepatitis B when you started the vaccine series.

Hepatitis B is highly contagious via sexual activity, even through oral sex.

I agree that getting tested for hepatitis B is important when you return home. The surface antigen and surface antibody tests are the most important blood tests to start with.

If you have not had an HIV test recently please discuss HIV testing with your doctor.

Hepatitis B Profile
hepatitis C treatment and pregnancy