Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

confuse with hepatitis B blood report
Nov 11, 2012

Hi Dr. Hope you are doing good. I have hep B for last couple of years. My DNA is negative but still i am taking hepsara 10 mg once a day. I am doing blood work, ultrasound, twice a year and also my doctor is screening HBsag antigen once a year to check whether i lose the virus. The last blood work done last month at 'Labcorp' and test name Hbsag screen, result value : confirmed indicated, range : negative, status : final. what it means? i talked with doctor office, they said still i have virus( antigen is positive but viral load is negative). FYI, i did the DNA test two weeks before this test and report was less than 100 copies/ML. I am really confuse. please advise. thanks.

Response from Dr. Taylor

It sounds as though you are getting wonderful care for your hepatitis B virus infection.

The goal of your medication is to stop the hepatitis B virus in the liver cells from making more/new hepatitis B viruses. The medication is working as your hepatitis B DNA is negative. This excellent response decreases the chances of becoming ill from hepatitis B.

Even with appropriate hepatitis B medication, in most cases the hepatitis B surface antigen (SAg) persists, which is what is indicated by your test results. So the hepatitis B is not gone or cured but is suppressed or put to sleep by the medication rather than being eradicated/cured. If the pressure on the virus is removed, meaning the medication is stopped, the virus in the liver cells can start making more hepatitis B viruses. So continue to work with your doctor about the goals of your treatment and staying on your treatment while the sAg is present.

Previous
Is there a urine test for Hep C?
Next
Hepatitis c and razors

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.