confuse with hepatitis B blood report

Hi Dr. Hope you are doing good. I have hep B for last couple of years. My DNA is negative but still i am taking hepsara 10 mg once a day. I am doing blood work, ultrasound, twice a year and also my doctor is screening HBsag antigen once a year to check whether i lose the virus. The last blood work done last month at 'Labcorp' and test name Hbsag screen, result value : confirmed indicated, range : negative, status : final. what it means? i talked with doctor office, they said still i have virus( antigen is positive but viral load is negative). FYI, i did the DNA test two weeks before this test and report was less than 100 copies/ML. I am really confuse. please advise. thanks.

Response from Dr. Taylor

It sounds as though you are getting wonderful care for your hepatitis B virus infection.

The goal of your medication is to stop the hepatitis B virus in the liver cells from making more/new hepatitis B viruses. The medication is working as your hepatitis B DNA is negative. This excellent response decreases the chances of becoming ill from hepatitis B.

Even with appropriate hepatitis B medication, in most cases the hepatitis B surface antigen (SAg) persists, which is what is indicated by your test results. So the hepatitis B is not gone or cured but is suppressed or put to sleep by the medication rather than being eradicated/cured. If the pressure on the virus is removed, meaning the medication is stopped, the virus in the liver cells can start making more hepatitis B viruses. So continue to work with your doctor about the goals of your treatment and staying on your treatment while the sAg is present.

Is there a urine test for Hep C?
Hepatitis c and razors